Imagine

Imagine

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Little Critter Insomnia

I love my little critter. I love being a mommy. What I don't love is being up until 1 or 2 am because of my own insomnia and then having to get up with the baby 6 times (or more) before 8 am. :( He sleeps GREAT through the day. We have no problems getting him down for naps. But for some reason, he doesn't seem to want to sleep once mommy and/or daddy goes to bed. I wish I knew how to fix that problem.

I have tried herbal teas (both child and adult strength), warm bottles, relaxing sounds, warm baths with Johnson&Johnson nighttime baby bath. Someone told me to try using lavender scented incense, candles, sachets, etc. I think I've heard of people even putting lavender inside the pillows as they stuff them. I'm almost to the end of my rope. Got circles under my eyes so dark you'd swear I was on drugs. Ugh.

I think sleep deprivation should be considered a drug. Your brain stops functioning at it's optimal performance. You begin to have physical effects such as dark circles, weight loss, etc. There are emotional issues such as shortened temper, easily offended, crying easily, and an extremely low bullshit tolerance. If the sleep deprivation gets bad enough, you can begin hallucinating, developing anxiety, as well as depression. Doesn't all that sound like the effects of drugs?

But then 8 am rolls around... and instead of crying, I hear my little critter trying to talk. I crack open my eyes and there he is, holding onto the top rail of his bed, staring at me with this huge smile on his face as he gums the rail. No matter how sleep deprived I am, I can't help but smile back at him. You can't be mad when your alarm clock is wearing footy pajamas and a gummy smile. :)

I love my little critter. I have no idea what I would do without him. He is the reason that the sun comes up and why the stars shine at night. :) I hope things never change between us. And I also hope that I get to have at least 2 more boys so that a) I get to enjoy this stage again (complete with bitching about it) and b) so he will have brothers to grow up with. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment