Imagine

Imagine

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Being My Own Boss

Today I’ll fill you in on the two businesses that I personally own and run. I started them both from scratch, as you will see. J I hope that I can entertain and inspire you to accomplish your dreams!

This is my main personal business. I hand sew blankets, pillows, and pillow cases. I also do no-sew blankets and scarves modeled after them. I will be expanding the line to include sleep pants as well once I get a few patterns. I will hand sew these as well. I fell in love with making blankets in 7th grade. But I had so much other stuff going on, that I let my love of crafting get pushed to the very back of the filing cabinet that is my mind. Then, while I was pregnant with Critter Girl, I re-discovered my love of making things. So I started making little things here and there. After Critter Girl was born, I started in on bigger things. I made Nana a matching blanket and pillow for her couch, showed it off on Facebook and Bedtime By Tink exploded from there. J I am constantly working on exploring new products and things to improve the business. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!




Pit Bull Momma Rescue (https://www.facebook.com/pitbullmommarescue)
I started PBMR in 2008 while living in Oklahoma. The over-population, the dog fighting and so many other factors contributed to me starting this business. It is a non-profit, so please don’t think that I help these animals so I can make money. I actually saw a comment on another blog this morning that was accusing rescue groups of just trying to make money and that once all the homeless animals were placed, we would begin breeding more so that we could stay in business. Ugh. Some people. But I am a not for profit business. Every donation that comes my way is either put towards any rescue dog(s) in my care, or donated to the local Humane Society or to Villalobos Rescue Center to help their rescue dogs.  I have a vision of turning PBMR into a rescue similar to VRC. Tia Torres is an amazing woman and what she does there is beyond amazing. I am hoping that I can one day build my rescue facility to at least half the size of hers, if not to the same size. It is sad to think that she has 200+ dogs in her facility and it hasn’t even scratched the surface of the abused, neglected and/or homeless pet problem. L I loved one of her quotes so much that it’s the first thing you see on my page:

At PBMR, I take in any unwanted bully breed or mix of bully breed. “Pit Bull” is not a breed; it is simply a way to describe any dog that has the characteristics of three main breeds: American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. There are also other breeds that are similar to these. The breeds as a whole with the same physical characteristics are classified as “bully breeds”.  I have decided to start an educational segment on the PBMR Facebook page. I started it off today trying to bring awareness to puppy mills. Valentine’s Day is coming up and, for whatever reason, puppies seem to be a big Valentine’s Day present. Below is the first of the educational series posts:


I hope that you have enjoyed learning about the different roles that I play online and I look forward to hearing from you!!!

4 comments:

  1. Both your businesses intrigue me. I am trying to start up a craft business. I also think that dog rescues are really important. I am staying with people who have two rescues -- a Boston terrier and beagle/daschund mix. Both great dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I am concerned, rescues are the best dogs!!! If you would like some more info on starting a craft business, I would suggest checking out Hike Those Likes America on Facebook. For a quick overview, please check out my "Facebook Admin" article. I wish you luck in your dream. If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask me. I love to help out others to follow their passions. :)

      Delete
  2. Seems like your hands will be blooming with success. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! There are days that the encouragement is greatly needed. I will remember to look at your comment when I am in need. :)

      Delete